Probe launched into Hitler wine bottles in Italy
London: Wine bottles featuring Adolf Hitler on the label have been called "offensive" after complaints from US tourists in the Italian city of Garda.
Italian prosecutors have opened an investigation into sales of wine with an image of German Nazi leader Adolf Hitler on the label after complaints from US tourists in the city of Garda.
Michael Hirsch, a lawyer from Philadelphia, complained to local media after he found a supermarket near his hotel was stocking wine bottles with Hitler in various poses and another bottle featuring an image of Pope John Paul II.
"It is very shocking and startling to us," Mr Hirsch told The Daily Telegraph on Wednesday.
"We would think of it as neo-Nazism. It makes you wonder about the sympathies of the local people."
One bottle features Hitler with his arm raised in the Nazi, another is labelled ``Mein Kampf" and another was labelled "Ein volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" (one people, one empire, one Fuhrer), Hirsch said.
Local prosecutors said they have opened an inquiry into the sale of the wine bottles.
"I want to reassure our American friends who visit our country that our Constitution and our culture reject racism, anti-Semitism and Nazi fascism," said Andrea Riccardi, the Italian integration minister.
"This offends the memory of millions of people and risks compromising the image of Italy abroad."
Hirsch and his wife Cindy are travelling through northern Italy on holiday and arrived in Garda on Monday.
He said he noticed the bottles when he was purchasing items at a supermarket and complained to a store employee.
"He told me ``It`s just history, like Mussolini like Che Guevara`. I put the bottle down on the counter and left the store."
The father of Hirsch`s wife Cindy was born in Czechoslovakia and is an Auschwitz survivor. Her aunt, grandparents, and other family members died there, the Telegraph reported.
"I was shocked," Mrs Hirsch said.
"It is not only an affront to Jews, even if my husband and I are Jewish. It is an affront to humanity as a whole,” she added.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke