South Korea court jails North spy for China activities
Seoul: A South Korean court Friday sentenced a convicted North Korean spy to four years in prison for collecting information on the South`s intelligence agents working in China.
The 43-year-old had insisted she was just a housewife who had been forcibly recruited by North Korean intelligence when she went to China to find work to feed her family in the North.
The court in the southern city of Suwon rejected her story and said her actions had led to the arrest of a South Korean agent.
"She was involved in a very serious crime which threatened the existence and safety of our nation," the court declared.
The woman had arrived in Seoul in June as a refugee, but was detained after questioning by security authorities.
Thousands of North Korean spies have been arrested in South Korea since the end of the 1950-1953 Korean War.
Intelligence officials say a large number entered the South by posing as refugees who fled the North.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- SHOCKING: DySP forces women trainees to mention their period dates, makes fun of pregnant cadet