South Korea court jails North spy for China activities
Seoul: A South Korean court Friday sentenced a convicted North Korean spy to four years in prison for collecting information on the South`s intelligence agents working in China.
The 43-year-old had insisted she was just a housewife who had been forcibly recruited by North Korean intelligence when she went to China to find work to feed her family in the North.
The court in the southern city of Suwon rejected her story and said her actions had led to the arrest of a South Korean agent.
"She was involved in a very serious crime which threatened the existence and safety of our nation," the court declared.
The woman had arrived in Seoul in June as a refugee, but was detained after questioning by security authorities.
Thousands of North Korean spies have been arrested in South Korea since the end of the 1950-1953 Korean War.
Intelligence officials say a large number entered the South by posing as refugees who fled the North.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested