Syria opposition groups hold meeting in Qatar
Damascus: Syrian opposition groups are holding a crucial meeting on Sunday in Qatar capital Doha to discuss how to form a more united front.
The meeting could lead to a replacement for the Syrian National Council (SNC), the main opposition body in exile, reports the BBC.
The SNC has been criticised as out of touch by rebel forces in Syria, and the opposition is also split ideologically.
The Doha talks come a day after rebels in northern Syria launched an offensive to try win control of an key airbase.
The SNC will be looking to broaden its ranks and agree on a common platform at the conference, the BBC said.
Prominent dissident Riad Seif will be one of those taking part in the Doha conference.
Seif is being apparently being suggested by the US as the head of a new government-in-exile which would be dubbed the Syrian National Initiative.
"An alternative to the regime is dearly needed. We are talking about a temporary period that begins with forming a political leadership until a national assembly that represents all Syrians meets in Damascus, once Assad falls," Seif said.
What may emerge from the meeting is a new leadership body for the Syrian opposition separate from the SNC but including some figures from it, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!