Syrian chemical weapons under control: Russia
Munich: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said the Syrian authorities were keeping chemical weapons under control.
Syria has not signed the international Chemical Weapons Convention and is believed to possess mustard gas and sarin, an extremely toxic nerve agent.
The CIA says the chemical weapons can be delivered by aircraft, ballistic missile, and artillery rockets.
"We have reliable information that so far the Syrian government controls the situation" with the chemical weapons, Lavrov said at the International Security Conference in Munich.
"If the rebels seize those weapons, they will become a huge threat. But still, the situation doesn`t give any grounds for serious worries," he said.
Syria last year said they could be used against "foreign invaders".
Lavrov reiterated Russia`s stance against foreign interference in the two-year conflict in Syria and the removal of its president bound in a standoff with the opposition.
"The persistence of those who say that number one priority is to remove President Bashar al-Assad is the only biggest reason for the continuing tragedy in Syria," said Lavrov.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video