Syrian opposition unsure of UN-mediated truce as Eid nears
Beirut: Even as the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha nears, Syrian opposition group says it is not convinced about a UN-mediated truce taking hold in Syria.
As the Islamic holiday of Eid al-Adha is set to begin Friday, the UN envoy to Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi on Sunday held talks with President Bashar al-Assad in Damascus and proposed a temporary ceasefire during the four day holiday.
But the violence in Syria shows no signs of easing with more than 200 people reportedly being killed on Sunday according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
The UN-Arab League envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi has proposed that both sides hold fire during Eid al-Adha but neither Assad regime nor the rebels have committed to a truce.
Syrian rebel fighters were willing to lay down their arms, but would retaliate if attacked, said Syrian National Council chief Abdelbaset Sieda.
Doubting Brahimi’s truce plan, he further added that he did not trust the Assad regime, saying that they would hardly abide by the ceasefire.
The Syrian opposition’s concern highlights the ineffectiveness of international diplomacy that has so far been unsuccessful in resolving Syrian conflict.
Earlier in 2011, the former UN envoy to Syria Kofi Annan had laid down a six-point ceasefire plan in April that never took hold in actual.
China and Russia have thrice vetoed resolutions against Syria in UN, further enhancing the troubles for the international agency to find a solution for the unrest in Syria that is in its 19th month and evolved into a full-fledged civil war.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!