Two face jail in Britain for 9/11-like plot
London: Two members of a terrorist cell face jail in Britain after they admitted their involvement in a suicide bomb plot comparable to "another 9/11", a media report said.
Bahader Ali, 29, and Mohammed Rizwan, 34, confessed to the Woolwich Crown Court to charges of gathering funds and information to support their plan, the Daily Mail reported.
The pair, from Birmingham, were part of a terrorist cell which had converted a council house into a bomb factory to prepare for the attack.
Three others -- Irfan Khalid, 28, Irfan Naseer, 31, and Ashik Ali, 28 -- were convicted last month of being the ringleaders of a plot for a series of suicide bombings across the country.
Secretly recordings of the three showed them boasting that their attack would be "another 9/11" as they practised making bombs.
The daily said Naseer and Khalid twice travelled to Pakistan to learn about bomb-making, weapons and poisons, and later returned to Birmingham to share their expertise.
Members of the cell posed as charity collectors to raise funds for the attacks, raking in around 15,000 pounds but then wasted the cash on bad investments and buying a car.
But they were arrested in September 2011 before any attacks could take place.
A three-day sentencing hearing will begin April 22, when all members of the terrorist cell will be sentenced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan gets bail
- Merkel 'firmly' rejects reversing refugee policy after attacks
- Delhi government schools to hold first-ever parents-teachers meeting
- Faircent acclaimed ‘Interbrand Breakthrough Brand in Finance’ by Interbrand
- No concrete evidence on missing AN-32, says Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar