UK claims fresh evidence on Syria chemical weapons attack
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
St Petersburg: Britain’s Prime Minister David Cameron has overtly revealed that new evidence have been discovered which indicate the use of chemical weapons in Damascus on August 21 by the authoritarian Bashar Al Assad regime in Syria.
The revelation came out during the UK Prime Minister’s visit to Russia in the G20 summit today.
A team of experts from the United Nations had earlier collected the samples from the site near Damascus, which were later sent for the laboratory tests.
According to Cameron, the laboratory tests prove that sarin nerve gas was used in the chemical attacks. The tests report may further compel the Russian President Vladimir Putin to take necessary action against the Assad’s regime.
Britain had withdrawn its support to the US for carrying out strikes in Syria against the chemical attacks.
The tests were carried out by British scientists at the Porton Down laboratories.
On August 21, the alleged chemical attack killed more than 1,400 people including many children. The attack was condemned globally.
The US has accused Assad’s regime for carrying out the chemical attacks. However, Syrian government has completely denied any such accusation and has blamed the rebels for such attacks.
Israel, which is one of the main allies of the US, had taken the responsibility of carrying out missile test in Mediterranean Sea along with the United States on August 3.
The Syrian government has also claimed that the country is well prepared for any attack. Moreover, Russia, earlier in the day, has prepared its Navy for possible US strike on Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015