UN envoy warns Syrian conflict is turning global
United Nations: The UN`s top Mideast envoy is warning that "Syria is increasingly turning into a regional, if not a global, battleground."
Robert Serry, the UN special coordinator for the Middle East peace process, told the Security Council today that the Syrian government "continues to use its military might against civilian areas, which is increasingly attracting foreign fighters."
Serry cites a surge in sectarian threats and violence in Syria and the region.
He also accuses the government and opposition of failing to protect civilians and warns that the humanitarian needs of millions of Syrians are outpacing UN efforts to increase the delivery of aid.
He adds: "Recent reports of military victories by the government should not create false confidence that the conflict can be won militarily."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing