UN envoy warns Syrian conflict is turning global
United Nations: The UN`s top Mideast envoy is warning that "Syria is increasingly turning into a regional, if not a global, battleground."
Robert Serry, the UN special coordinator for the Middle East peace process, told the Security Council today that the Syrian government "continues to use its military might against civilian areas, which is increasingly attracting foreign fighters."
Serry cites a surge in sectarian threats and violence in Syria and the region.
He also accuses the government and opposition of failing to protect civilians and warns that the humanitarian needs of millions of Syrians are outpacing UN efforts to increase the delivery of aid.
He adds: "Recent reports of military victories by the government should not create false confidence that the conflict can be won militarily."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'