US-India ties are global in scope: Pentagon
Washington: India is key part of efforts of Obama Administration to rebalance its Asia-Pacific posture to the broader security and prosperity of the 21st century, a top Pentagon official said adding India-US relationship is global in scope.
"India is also key part of our rebalance to the Asia-Pacific, and, we believe, to the broader security and prosperity of the 21st century.
The US-India relationship is global in scope, like the reach and influence of both countries," the Deputy Secretary of Defense, Ashton Carter, said in his address to the Asia Society in New York yesterday.
"Our security interests converge: on maritime security, across the Indian Ocean region; in Afghanistan, where India has done so much for economic development and the Afghan security forces; and on broader regional issues, where we share long-term interests," said Carter who returned last week from his 10-day Asia Pacific trip including India.
"I went to India at the request of Secretary Panetta and with a high-level delegation of U S technical and policy experts.
Our purpose was to work with the Indians on developing a joint vision for US-India defense cooperation," he said.
"Through a series of meetings with Indian government and industry leaders, we agreed to create a continuing working mechanism, with the strategic engagement of National Security Advisor (Shiv Shankar) Menon and myself, to implement our vision," Carter said.
"We believe that the only limit to our cooperation should be our independent strategic decisions as any two states can differ ? not bureaucratic obstacles or inefficient procedures.
So we are deepening relationships between our defense organizations, from research to defense sales," the top Pentagon official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!