US planning new sanctions against Iran
Washington: The United States is reportedly is planning a new round of sanctions against Iran, which would be aimed at preventing foreign investment in the Islamic regime’s petrochemical sector.
The development comes after the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), issued a report claiming Iran appeared to be pursuing nuclear weapons technology despite Tehran’s claims that its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes.
According to sources, the Obama administration is looking to bar foreign firms from investing in Iran’s petrochemical industry, a sanction that would be along the lines of past restrictions on Iran’s oil and gas sectors, Fox News reports.
The White House so far has not commented on the reports, but top officials have stressed the importance of keeping pressure on Iran without resorting to more extreme measures.
Defence Secretary Leon Panetta planned to warn Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak that any military strike on Iran`s nuclear infrastructure could have dire economic consequences.
On another track, Republican Mark Kirk of Illinois is sponsoring legislation, which was introduced on Friday, to sanction Iran’s Central Bank.
Kirk said he is frustrated that the US Treasury is not pushing harder to tighten sanctions against Iran’s Central Bank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest