US to provide unarmed drones to Kenya
Washington: The Pentagon is planning to provide small unarmed drones to Kenya, as a part of a new package of military assistance for key African partners to combat al Qaeda and Al Shabaab militants in the region.
According to Pentagon documents, Kenya will reportedly get eight hand-launched Raven drones with sensors used to pinpoint targets, which are unarmed but can be used to identify targets for strikes using ground forces or armed aircraft.
“This assistance will help build the capacity of Kenyan national military forces to conduct CT (counterterrorism) operations by providing tactical unmanned aircraft systems and training,” the Wall Street Journal quoted the Pentagon document, as stating.
“This assistance will improve the tactical effectiveness and operational reach of the Kenyan National Defence Forces engaged in CT operations against al Shabaab in Somalia,” it added.
The Ravens for Kenya are part of an initial USD 41.4 million package of military aid that also includes trucks, communications gear and rifles for Burundi, Djibouti and Uganda.
The Raven, which weighs 4.2 pounds and has a wingspan of 4.5 feet, is widely used by US troops in Afghanistan, the report said.
The US military has identified Al Shabaab as a terrorist threat and has also targeted some of the group`s leaders in Somalia using drones and special forces. Officials said the new funds are meant to bolster the counterterrorism capabilities of key African allies in the region to go after the group and other al Qaeda supporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31