Why Barack Obama may pip Mitt Romney despite debate debacle
Washington: Despite Obama’s poor showing at the presidential debate against Republican rival Mitt Romney in Denver last week, he is still favoured to re-take the White House in November, because of a plethora of factors working to his advantage, according to an analysis.
An analysis by ABC News shows that today, Americans do not feel that the state of the economy is as bad under Obama as it was a year ago. And, a small, but growing number, think that it is getting better.
The Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index has reported that consumers’ confidence has climbed for a sixth straight week, which is the ‘longest such stretch since early 2006’, it said.
According to the report, even though a majority of Americans continue to disapprove of the job Obama is doing on the economy, they do not see Romney either being able to do any better.
Meanwhile, voters’ confidence that Romney will do a better job on the economy has dropped significantly between August and September, it added.
According to the report, voters see Obama as better able to understand the economic problems of regular people and more in tune with the concerns of the middle class.
Moreover, Romney’s Paul Ryan pick as his running mate has given him only a short-lived bounce in Wisconsin. The latest polls in the ‘Badger State’ show Obama with a healthy advantage there, it added.
It said if Romney loses Ohio and Wisconsin, he would have no choice but to win almost every single other battleground state to win.
The only way for Romney to win the White House race is that he has to convince those who are currently supporting Obama to switch allegiances, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand