Amir Khan calls for return of headguards in amateur boxing
London: British boxer and Olympic silver medallist Amir Khan on Friday demanded headguards be reinstated into amateur boxing to protect exhausted fighters from possible injury.
The Englishman, a former two-time world champion, believes boxers fighting up to five times a week at international competition are more at risk of being seriously hurt.
"I would say headguards need to come back, especially when you`ve got fighters who are fighting nearly five times a week," said the 27-year-old, speaking on the sidelines of the Commonwealth Games.
"You might get cut in the first day, on first day you might just get a head clash, you might be the favourite to win the tournament."
Khan said that boxers can still get facial cuts wearing headguards and be knocked out but they help with overall protection of the fighters.
"I don`t think knock-outs happen as much anyway in amateur boxing especially at the high level because you`re fighting the best of the best. I think they should come back, it`s more safe for the fighters."
Earlier at the Games, Australian boxer Daniel Lewis had called for headguards to be restored for amateur fighters after he failed a medical check and was ruled out of the welterweight quarter-finals.
The International Boxing Association (AIBA), who discarded head protection in the amateur ranks last year, will assess the new rule and number of head cuts and injuries at the end of the Commonwealth Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- Forest fires threaten to wipe out 1,500 villages in Uttarakhand, NDRF, IAF step in to mitigate crisis, govt issues alert
- World's richest temple mulls moving 7.5 tonne gold under monetisation scheme
- Six-year-old falls in borewell in Maharashtra, rescue operation on
- Want FIR against guilty before further probe on Adarsh Society scam: BJP
- Beware, women! Stress can worsen HPV infection