`Angry` Boycott sends `SOS` for `competent` umpires following Ashes `horror show`
London: England legend Geoffrey Boycott has called for the replacement of the present quartet of `neutral` umpires officiating in the Ashes, saying that they are not `up to the task` and are too `frightened` to change an on-field decision.
Boycott also urged the ICC to bring in English and Australian umpires in place of the `error-making` officials.
According to the Daily Star, the angry outburst of Boycott came after the shock dismissal of Australian batsman Usman Khawaja due to a wrong Decision Review System (DRS) call in Australia`s first innings at Old Trafford, which was also slammed by their prime minister Kevin Rudd on Twitter.
The report further said that Khawaja was given out by umpire Tony Hill after being caught behind by Matt Prior and then third umpire Kumar Dharmasena failed to overturn the verdict.
Although he defended the DRS currently in place, Boycott called on the ICC to get some new umpires quickly for the Tests, which have been over-shadowed by incompetent and shocking umpiring decisions, saying that the four `neutral` umpires are not up for the job and have taken down the standard of umpiring in this series.
Boycott further said that the ICC should get in some English and Australian umpires if they cannot change the quartet.
Defending the DRS, Boycott called the howlers as `bad human errors`, saying that DRS is fine as long as the umpires can read it properly, although he added that the Snickometer is not perfect.
According to Boycott, Sri Lankan Dharmasena will now be too `frightened` to change an on-field decision in case he gets it wrong again.
Agreeing with Boycott, former England captain and fast bowler Bob Willis also called for getting in English and Australian umpires and ditch the neutral umpires, saying that they have become an `embarrassment` and are ruining the series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'