`Forgotten` Katich keeps impressing with willow as Oz search for batting redemption
Sydney: Former Australian Test batsman Simon Katich has regained atleast a part of his dream to play for Australia again after he scored an impressive 85 in a guest appearance for the touring Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) XI in their match against a Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) selection at Lord`s.
The match happened at the Nursery Ground, next to the main arena at Lord`s.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, although Katich has turned up too late to save Australia out of their Ashes mire, he however, is enjoying a prolific English summer with Lancashire, in contrast to the fortunes of Australia against England, with a score of 874 runs at an average of 72.13.
The report further said that Katich batted at No.3 for the SCG XI, which is captained by former Australian rugby player Brett Papworth and wound up its seven-game village cricket tour of England with a match at Arundel Castle in West Sussex on Saturday.
According to the report, for once, the veteran Katich was an amateur compared to the assembly of seasoned amateur cricketers, although Papworth praised him, saying that Katich played at a different level in such a style, which fitted him with the other players soon.
Arguing that Katich should be in the Test side, Papworth also said that it seemed odd to him that the selectors had talked much about choosing an all-young team for the Ashes and then chose the veteran Chris Rogers during the actual selection, adding that he wished that Michael Hussey, Katich and the likes were still present in the team.
Katich had made it clear that he would be available in these Ashes should he be called upon, dismissing national selector John Inverarity`s statement last month that he thought the gritty left-hander had retired and would therefore not be considered again for Australia, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read