Finch backs Rogers` inclusion in Ashes squad to counter inexperience among Oz batsmen
Sydney: Australian cricketer Aaron Finch has said that the inclusion of veteran Chris Rogers in Australia`s Ashes squad will be a vital tool to countering the lack of experience among its batsmen.
Although Rogers has the least international experience of any of the batsmen - playing only one Test, in 2008 - but he has played 239 first-class matches over 15 years, almost half of them in England.
Stating that his Victorian teammate has long been worthy of Test selection and would prove that if given a chance against England, Finch, who was confirmed as Steve Smith`s deputy for Australia A`s tour of South Africa next month, said that Rogers has been a stand-out player for almost 10 years.
Despite having limited opportunities due to the weight of runs of Simon Katich, Phillip Hughes, Shane Watson and David Warner , Finch said that coupled with that, the 35-years-old Rogers also struggled to get a Victorian contract due to his age, although he has succeeded with his determination.
Insisting that Rogers is not in the squad to `impress anyone with his technique`, Finch also said that the importance of aesthetics was secondary to performance, adding that Rogers is one of the players whose average is not bumped up by his county cricket as he is a player who averages 50 everywhere he plays.
According to Finch, Rogers` presence will benefit his younger teammates Hughes, Warner and Usman Khawaja, adding that being inexperienced, the side will have a large advantage with Rogers as a part of their squad, given his playing experience and knowledge of the conditions in England.
Meanwhile, Finch said that he was striving to fix the minor technical flaws that had him floundering in Sheffield Shield in the past two years - in stark contrast to his fine limited-overs form.
The selection of Finch in the 16-man Australia A squad that includes Ashes contenders Fawad Ahmed and Ashton Agar comes after he successfully led the team to a thrashing of England`s development team in a one-day series last summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you