Members of `defeated` CT squad to play in Australia A team to rediscover batting form
Sydney: Cricket Australia (CA) will reportedly be sending certain players from the defeated ICC Champions Trophy squad to join Australia A to maximise preparation time for the Ashes and rediscover their batting form.
Following a disappointing pool-round exit from the Champions Trophy, Australia will use the extra time before the opening tour match to give some players time with the A team, who completed a 93-run first-class win over Ireland on Monday.
The players who will join the Australia A team for their match against Gloucestershire in Bristol starting on Friday are yet to be confirmed, although stand-in ODI captain George Bailey said that a couple of batsmen from the Champions Trophy squad would also feature.
Meanwhile, national chairman of selectors John Inverarity said that calling former Pakistani asylum seeker Fawad Ahmed into the Ashes squad will be a judgment call when the time comes, adding that Ahmed`s citizenship was likely to be processed in time for the first Test.
However, Inverarity stressed that nothing was locked in at this stage for Ahmed to join Australia`s 16-man squad.
Ahmed will play in Australia A`s next match against Gloucestershire later this week and if laws have passed Senate to make him eligible by then, a decision will be made on whether he joins the squad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!