McCullum says Black Caps showed `how good they can be` after ODI series win over England
Johannesburg : New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum has expressed his happiness at his side`s win in the just concluded one-day series against England, saying that his team has shown `how good they can be`.
Martin Guptill `s New Zealand record 189 not out - the opener`s second successive unbeaten hundred - was the cornerstone of the Black Caps` total of 359 for three that was behind an 86-run win at Southampton on Sunday, which gave them an unbeatable 2-0 lead in a three-match series.
The latest victory was just the tonic New Zealand needed after being whitewashed 2-0 by England in the preceding Test series and left them full of confidence heading into the one-day Champions Trophy tournament in the UK that starts on Thursday.
Stating that the victory is very special for his team, McCullum, whose side lost the corresponding one-day series in New Zealand earlier this year 2-1 after going 1-0 up against Alastair Cook`s men, said that the players are delighted to come to England and play against them, in their own conditions, and wrap up series after two games.
Praising Guptill`s form and batsmanship as outstanding, McCullum said that coupled with Guptill`s striking ability, the innings were the best that he had seen in one-day cricket from New Zealand.
Guptill`s latest innings saw him surpass Lou Vincent`s previous New Zealand record of 172 against Zimbabwe in Bulawayo in 2005, and was the equal fifth highest score in ODI history.
It also equalled West Indies great Vivian Richards` 189 not out, at Old Trafford in 1984, as the highest individual ODI score against England.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Bipasha Basu - Karan Singh Grover wedding: Official pictures from mehendi/ sangeet ceremony are here
- Crucial file on 'truth behind Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's disappearance' destroyed in 1972
- Russian woman raped in Goa by guest house owner
- Nobody can portray Lakhan better than me: Anil Kapoor
- PHOTOS: How Mumbai Indians' captain Rohit Sharma celebrated his 29th birthday!