Euro 2012: Spain favourites against us, says Benzema
Kiev: France forward Karim Benzema freely admits that Spain will be overwhelming favourites to progress when the two sides meet in the quarter-finals of Euro 2012 on Saturday.
Les Bleus had been tipped by many as potential winners, but such confidence in Laurent Blanc`s team now looks horribly misplaced in light of Tuesday night`s 2-0 defeat by the already-eliminated Sweden in their final Group D fixture.
And Benzema conceded that serious improvement is required if they are to have any hope of progressing further this summer.
"We console ourselves with the qualification, but if we want to do something in this European Championship, we cannot reproduce this kind of performance," the Real Madrid hitman told reporters after their shock loss to the Swedes.
"Individually, there were not many who did well, except Hugo [Lloris] in goal. Against Spain, who are a team that come to play, we will have more space.
"But we should not kid ourselves. Spain will be favourites; they are one of the best teams in the world.
"The belief and the trust in one another is still there, but now we must rest and then quickly get back to work."
France`s mouth-watering match-up with La Roja will take place in Donetsk, and will kick off at 20:45CET.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees