Guus Hiddink to take over as coach of Netherlands soccer team
Johannesburg: Dutch football manager and former player Guus Hiddink will reportedly return as Netherlands coach for the second time in what could be his football swansong after the 2014 FIFA World Cup finals.
Hiddink, who has coached South Korea, Australia, Russia, Turkey, Real Madrid and Chelsea in his 32-year-old career, will take over from Louis Van Gaal on a mission to make sure the European team reaches the 2016 European Championships.
According to Sport24, the Dutch Football Federation (KNVB) said that Hiddink would work with former players Danny Blind and Ruud van Nistelrooy as his main assistants, adding that his contract will run only to the end of Euro 2016, after which time Blind will take over ahead of qualifiers for the 2018 World Cup.
The report mentioned that as a player, Hiddink was a tough midfielder with Dutch clubs PSV Eindhoven, De Graafschap and NEC Nijmegen and briefly in the early US major league.
The report further said that Van Gaal had already indicated he would leave after the World Cup in Brazil and has already been tipped as a possible Tottenham Hotspur manager.
The Netherlands, who were runners-up at the 2010 World Cup but slumped to three defeats in as many matches at Euro 2012, are drawn in Group B for the World Cup with title-holders Spain, Chile and Australia.
For Euro 2016, the team is in Group A qualifying group with the Czech Republic, Turkey, Latvia, Iceland and Kazakhstan, the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij