It would take City a century to match Manchester United: Ferguson
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted Manchester City have a century of catching up to do to reach the Red Devils` level of success after their rival`s Premier League title win on Sunday.
The 70-year-old`s side won 1-0 at Sunderland and looked to have won the league until two late stoppage-time goals at the Etihad Stadium secured a dramatic 3-2 win for City as they claimed the trophy on goal difference.
The victory for Roberto Mancini`s men means the Premier League crown now resides away from Old Trafford, and although the Scot congratulated City, he made clear his belief that United are still miles ahead of their rivals in terms of history and tradition.
Ferguson told MUTV: "On behalf of Manchester United I`d like to say congratulations to our neighbours. It`s a fantastic achievement to win this league.
"Our rich history stands us aside - it`s better than anyone. It would take City a century to get our level of history."
Wayne Rooney`s goal not long after the 20-minute mark was all that separated United and Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Sunday despite numerous attempts at goal from the visitors.
Ferguson said of the younger generation at Old Trafford: "The young lads will remember today. Sometimes a bad experience is better for you... you shouldn`t fear the future and these lads won`t."
The United boss continued: "We have a challenge but we`re good at challenges and we`ll kick on from here."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks