It would take City a century to match Manchester United: Ferguson
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted Manchester City have a century of catching up to do to reach the Red Devils` level of success after their rival`s Premier League title win on Sunday.
The 70-year-old`s side won 1-0 at Sunderland and looked to have won the league until two late stoppage-time goals at the Etihad Stadium secured a dramatic 3-2 win for City as they claimed the trophy on goal difference.
The victory for Roberto Mancini`s men means the Premier League crown now resides away from Old Trafford, and although the Scot congratulated City, he made clear his belief that United are still miles ahead of their rivals in terms of history and tradition.
Ferguson told MUTV: "On behalf of Manchester United I`d like to say congratulations to our neighbours. It`s a fantastic achievement to win this league.
"Our rich history stands us aside - it`s better than anyone. It would take City a century to get our level of history."
Wayne Rooney`s goal not long after the 20-minute mark was all that separated United and Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Sunday despite numerous attempts at goal from the visitors.
Ferguson said of the younger generation at Old Trafford: "The young lads will remember today. Sometimes a bad experience is better for you... you shouldn`t fear the future and these lads won`t."
The United boss continued: "We have a challenge but we`re good at challenges and we`ll kick on from here."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- WATCH: Chilling video of Gwalior road mishap and miraculous escape of two scooty riders
- 'Sultan' moment: Salman Khan, nephew Ahil clicked in wrestling mood
- Palestinian killed in exchange of fire with Israeli army
- Girl commits suicide after being ragged in Kerala, three final year students arrested
- Japan knife attacker grins before cameras