Peter Schmeichel hails Louis Van Gaal as `perfect man` for Manchester United
London: Retired Danish legendary goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel believes that new boss Louis van Gaal is the perfect man to revive Manchester United `s fortunes and get them to challenge the Premier League title again.
Schmeichel warned his former club that they cannot afford another awful season if they are to remain one of the biggest clubs in the world but believes that Van Gaal has got what it would take to make United title contenders this season.
Schmeichel was very impressed with the Dutchman`s World Cup campaign as he led his country to third in Brazil. And the Great Dane believes Van Gaal has the experience, personality and boldness to turnaround the Old Trafford club, The Mirror reported.
Schmeichel insists he never stopped watching his beloved United last season as they toiled under David Moyes, who was sacked in April. But he doesn`t wish to see another season like it as they finished empty-handed and in seventh place in the Premier League.
And the former Manchester City goalkeeper said that failing to qualify for the Champions League again could permanently damage the club`s standing in the game. He said that he still considers United to be one of the biggest clubs in the world.
The former United goalkeeper said that one could argue that they are not the biggest club because they are not in the Champions League. But, he added that one should not think one year makes a difference.
Schmeichel said that he feels Van Gaal would be helped by the fact that he is not the one who came after Sir Alex Ferguson, who had appointed Moyes as his successor. And he added that from having played in the Premier League himself it looks like the Dutchman is a good guy for the job.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India