QPR’s Barton banned for 12 matches for violent conduct during Man City match
London: Queens Park Rangers midfielder Joey Barton has been hit by a 12-match ban for indulging in violent behaviour during the team’s final match of the Premier League season against Manchester City on May 13.
Barton received an automatic four-match ban for the initial elbow on strike Carlos Tevez that led to his sending-off, but the punishment was increased on Wednesday by eight matches for two counts of violent conduct, firstly for kicking Sergio Aguero and then an attempted head butt on Vincent Kompany
QPR has already launched its own internal investigation into Barton’s violent behaviour, as he received the most severe punishment for an on-field incident in England since Eric Cantona’s kung-fu kick on a Crystal Palace fan in 1995.
Barton attended Tuesday’s Wembley hearing with his lawyer Mel Stein and could still appeal against the sanction.
The wacky midfielder had accepted the first count of violent conduct in relation to the Agüero kick but had denied the same charge for the Kompany head butt incident.
“There are rules of conduct that should be adhered to, and such behaviour tarnishes the image of football in this country, particularly as this match was the pinnacle of the domestic season and watched by millions around the globe,” The Telegraph quoted the chairman of the three-man independent regulatory commission that investigated the case, as saying.
“This eight-match suspension is to run consecutively to the four-game suspension Barton was already given for his dismissal in the fixture, making a total of 12 matches,” said an FA statement.
As Barton had already been sent off, the two incidents that resulted in violent conduct charges fell outside the jurisdiction of the referee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- CBI raids Visva Bharati varsity, officers' residences
- Substantial decline in riots and communal incidents: Naqvi
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM