Suarez could face international ban
Montevideo: Uruguay`s Luis Suarez could be handed an extended international ban after appearing to punch Chile defender Gonzalo Jara during a World Cup qualifier in Santiago.
Video replays showed Suarez making contact with Jara with a right fist to the face during Chile`s 2-0 victory over the reigning Copa America champions on Tuesday.
The Liverpool striker was later booked by referee Nestor Pitana for an unrelated incident, meaning he will miss Uruguay`s next qualifier away to Venezuela on June 11.
Local media quoted a FIFA spokesperson as saying that football`s governing body was awaiting the referee`s match report, before deciding whether to take action against Suarez or not.
"We are still collecting all the post-match international reports, since the officials have got 24 hours to send them. Based on (them), FIFA will proceed," the spokesperson said.
Tuesday`s result left Uruguay sixth in the South America zone standings while Chile rose to the fourth spot.
The top four teams will qualify for next year`s World Cup finals in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what