Buddh International Circuit wins Global Award
New Delhi: Buddh International Circuit, which played host to India`s first Formula One Grand Prix on October 30, has been awarded the `Motorsport Facility of the Year` award at the Professional Motorsport World Expo 2011, held in Cologne, Germany.
Boris Lazaric, COO Construction, Jaypee Sports International (JPSI) collected the award on behalf of JPSI on November 15.
The other contenders in the category were Baltimore Street Circuit, Mugello Circuit and Phoenix International Raceway, but BIC emerged as an unanimous winner.
Speaking on the occasion, Manoj Gaur, the Chairman of JPSI said, "This is a very proud moment for us and it feels great to be acknowledged for the hard work that made the inaugural Indian Grand Prix at BIC a resounding success.
"I would like to congratulate my team and dedicate this award to every member who worked tirelessly in making BIC a world class racing facility," he added.
Gary Anderson, a member of the PMW Expo Awards judging panel said, "Over the last 10 years we have seen many new F1 circuits created around the world, most of these to an excellent standard as far as the overall facility is concerned but lacking imagination when it comes to the actual circuit design.
"Buddh International Circuit has gone the other way and created an excellent circuit layout, which the drivers, engineers and spectators love. With adequate facilities to put on a great event, it will mature into one of the best."
Professional MotorSport World Expo is central Europe`s leading trade-only motorsport exhibition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan