F1 is a sport as good as others: Karthikeyan
Chennai: Amidst debate over the `elitist` nature of Formula One and whether it qualifies to be a sport at all, Indian racing star Narain Karthikeyan on Saturday said that F1 is a sport as good as any other and the drivers involved in it work really hard.
"F1 is a sport as good as others...as much as cricket. In fact, it is a dangerous sport too," Karthikeyan said during an interactive session at the India Today Youth Summit in Chennai.
Karthikeyan, the face of motorsport in India, said professionals involved in motorsport put in as much amount of hard work as any other sportsperson in other discipline.
"There is lot of hardwork and commitment put in (by those who opt for it)," he said.
India held its first F1 Grand Prix at Noida in October, which turned out to be a huge success.
However, it was marred by a controversy over a stand-off between the organisers and the Sports Minister Ajay Maken over his refusal to grant tax exemption. And subsequently Maken was not invited for the mega-event.
Asked if the Government should promote the sport or offer any other assistance, Karthikeyan said it was "debatable".
Painting a positive picture of motorsport`s future in India, Karthikeyan said more corporates are willingness to sponsor.
"Lot of corporates have come on board after the Grand Prix and now talent hunts are being organised (to recognize drivers). Motorsport in the country will grow into much bigger," the ace driver said.
Interacting with a bunch of students, Karthikeyan recalled that he had found it difficult to get sponsors in the country during his early days, besides when was competing with European drivers later in his career.
Inspite all challenges and hardships, it was the "thrill of driving at 300 kph," which kept him motivated, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed