Narain couldn`t show his power in HRT, feels David Coulthard
Greater Noida: India doesn`t have a legacy in Formula One drivers but Narain Karthikeyan is a "talented driver who could have done wonders had he be racing for any other team" than minnows Hispania Racing (HRT), feels former multiple Grand Prix winner David Coulthard.
Handicapped by his not so advanced car, Karthikeyan and his team HRT is languishing at the bottom of the 2012 Formula One Championship, but Coulthard said it would be injustice to judge the Indian`s driving skills merely on standings.
"Narain is a great driver and there is no doubt that he would done much better in any other team," the Briton, who made his debut in 1994 and won 13 GPs in a career spanning 15 seasons, told PTI in an interview.
"It`s a fact that there hasn`t been a legacy of previous Indian drivers, but you cannot show your power in a HRT car," Coulthard said about Karthikeyan, the lone Indian driver in the F1 circuit.
Coulthard, who made his debut in 1994 and won 13 GPs in a career spanning 15 seasons, gave a thumbs up to the Indian GP, which is only into its second year.
"The Indian GP is fantastic. India is a huge country. It has a rich culture and we all enjoy it. We get a great welcome here. Every driver and F1 team members enjoy staying here.
"The guys (drivers) said that they have liked this circuit very much."
Asked whether he would have liked to have a drive at the BIC here, Coulthard said, "Of course, it would have been great to drive around the track but I don`t miss it because I had a great opportunity in my life."
Twice a winner in Monaco, Coulthard was a team-mate to Mika H?kkinen in the Finn`s two Drivers` Championship-winning seasons for McLaren Mercedes before helping establish the Red Bull team.
His last stint in F1 was with Red Bull from 2005 to 2008 before later joining the team as consultant.
So, when asked about Red Bull`s secret of success, Coulthard was quick to respond.
"My hundred percent focus is on winning Formula One races. Ferrari, McLaren are in the same league but I think for Red Bull, it`s just about giving 100 per cent to their job."
"In F1, it`s all about developing prototypes, innovations, and Red Bull possess a team of extremely efficient engineers led by Adrian Newey," he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth