Sebastian Vettel wins Japanese GP, closes gap on leader Alonso
Suzuka (Japan): Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel won the Japanese Grand Prix from pole on Sunday to close within four points of the Formula One championship leader Fernando Alonso who crashed out of the race at the first turn.
This is Vettel’s third win of the current season.
Vettel, who also won the previous race in Singapore, is within sight of a third straight title, with five races to go. Alonso`s Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa was second, 20.6 seconds behind Vettel for his first podium finish since Korea in 2010.
Sauber`s Kamui Kobayashi took third place for his first-ever podium finish and become the first Japanese driver on a podium here since 1990.
The race got off to a tumultuous start with a series of collisions in the first corner sequence, ending Alonso`s race.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!