Sebastian Vettel wins Japanese GP, closes gap on leader Alonso
Suzuka (Japan): Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel won the Japanese Grand Prix from pole on Sunday to close within four points of the Formula One championship leader Fernando Alonso who crashed out of the race at the first turn.
This is Vettel’s third win of the current season.
Vettel, who also won the previous race in Singapore, is within sight of a third straight title, with five races to go. Alonso`s Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa was second, 20.6 seconds behind Vettel for his first podium finish since Korea in 2010.
Sauber`s Kamui Kobayashi took third place for his first-ever podium finish and become the first Japanese driver on a podium here since 1990.
The race got off to a tumultuous start with a series of collisions in the first corner sequence, ending Alonso`s race.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre