China retain Sudirman Cup
Kuala: The Chinese badminton team successfully defended its Sudirman Cup title with a convincing 3-0 victory over South Korea in the final here Sunday, winning the competition for the fifth successive time.
World No.1 Xu Chen/Ma Jin led China to a 1-0 lead defeating their South Korean opponents Ko Sung Hyun/Kim Ha Na 21-13, 21-15 in the mixed doubles, reports Xinhua.
In the following men`s singles, Chen Long gave Lee Dong Keun no chance and won 21-15, 21-10 in 47 minutes.
In the third match, the men`s doubles pair of Liu Xiaolong/Qiu Zihan stunned the South Korean aces Ko Sung Hyun/Lee Yong Dae 21-19, 21-17 to seal the victory for China.
China and South Korea are the two major competitors at Sudirman Cup since the tournament was first held in 1989.
China have lifted the Cup eight times while South Korea thrice. The two teams reached Sunday`s final defeating Denmark and Thailand, respectively.
China`s head coach Li Yongbo said he didn`t expect a straight win.
Li said Chinese players like hard-fought victories and the shuttlers from other countries should try harder in order to pose a greater challenge for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre