Murray believes Brit teen star Robson capable of reaching ‘top of world’ in tennis
London: Tennis star Andy Murray believes British player Laura Robson can join him at the top of world in women tennis after watching the teenager finish the scintillating career of Kim Clijsters.
Robson achieved a landmark success when she denied the retiring three-time US Open champion a fairytale end with a stunning 7-6 7-6 triumph at Flushing Meadow.
Murray, who partnered Robson to an Olympic silver medal in the mixed doubles in London, was hugely impressed by the manner of the performance and by her speed around the court.
“When I first played with her she had the potential to move actually fairly well. Against Clijsters she moved very well on the court today - you need to want to chase balls down and believe that you can get to balls, and I think at the Olympics, after the first match or so, she was getting to a lot of balls,”
“She is moving much better than she had in the past so when she hits the ball great when she’s in good position. I think if she keeps improving on her movement, she’s going to be a very, very good player. She’s very good already, but she’ll get to the top much quicker,” he added.
“Beating Andy Roddick at Wimbledon was my first big win and it does give you confidence. It will take a bit of time to get the consistency and whatnot, but she’s got very easy power and great timing,”
Murray added: “There are not many teenagers in the top 100 compared with what there used to be and she’s right up there with the best in the world for her age. If she keeps improving, she’s going to get very high.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations