Twist, Twerk and Twirl
Sweat it out with these energy-packed dance workouts
Teen icon Miley Cyrus has 27 million Youtube views online, all thanks to Twerking. Say, what now? Twerking is a form of dance workout which involves twisting and jerking movement of the hips. This seductive workout is meant to tone your core muscle, glutes, hips and thigh muscle. To twerk, essentially, is to shake one`s butt. Having caught the fancy of Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and One Direction, twerking is a fun workout that improves flexibility of the lower body movement. Are you ready to twerk?
Do you want to be Â la Robbie Williams? If yes, then Bokwa. It is a form of workout where participants have to use their feet to draw letters or numbers while doing their cardio with music. An intense cardio workout that combines elements of African dance, capoeira, kickboxing, light boxing, and step with fancy footwork, Bokwa strengthens the feet and ankle because of the drawing movement with the feet. The good news is—you will not only burn an estimated 1,200 calories but also tighten up your lower body muscle zones. Also, age no bar!
Want to tease your partner and power up the passion in your bedroom? Go, sign up for a pole dance workout and show him the moves when you come back. Pole dance is a strength-based training which involves spinning, swinging, twirling, climbing, etc. It targets the whole body. Pole dance needs a lot of strength in upper body, arms and shoulders. It improves posture and gives a definition to the upper body. But those with a medical history of heart disease, joint problems, back and knee problems, and pregnant women should avoid this.
Zumba clearly took 2011 by storm. Now it`s time for Batuka to step in. A dance form that has its origin in Brazil, Batuka is an aerobic activity combined with marital art moves. It is meant to increase the endurance level and emphasizes on positive thinking. A fun, high intensity dance workout, Batuka offers choreographed routines to globally inspired music.
Wondering how Katrina got her moves right in Sheila Ki Jawani? It`s not easy. Belly dance, unlike other dance workouts, doesn`t include movement of limbs. It only involves movement of the torso and hips. It`s a sure-fire way to burn that belly fat and strengthen the ab muscles. Dance your way to de-stress, improve blood circulation and body posture. Hey pregnant mothers, it is also a good pre-natal workout!
A traditional dance form of South Africa, Aztec Dance involves all the muscle groups of the body. It specially focuses on the leg muscles such as forward and side movements, and lunges.
It`s a great dance workout which develops body balance, improves flexibility, coordination and endurance. While there is no age restriction, if you have a medical background of heart disease or back pain, do it under the guidance of a professional trainer.
We recommend you try these workouts only with a fitness expert.
Celebrity fitness expert Vinod Channa and Arun Kumar (Fitness Head, Snap Fitness India) spoke to Rama Sreekant
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Suriya's friendly gesture for actor Rahman
- 'Fukrey 2' put on hold, says director
- Katy Perry to release new album by 2016
- Newlywed Geri Halliwell adopts husband Christian Horner's name
- Sam Smith using an app to speak after surgery
- Sexually abused women often take surgery too far: Jane Fonda
- Dwayne Johnson officiates fans wedding
- Cobie Smulders stars in 'Unexpected' trailer
- New mothers under too much of pressure: Kimberly Wyatt
- 'Supergirl' won't have cross over with 'Arrow' and 'The Flash'
- 'Cooties' trailer unveiled
- Ben Affleck skips Oscars, attends Vanity Fair Oscar Party with wife
- Liza Minnelli `not upset` by Ellen DeGeneres`s hurtful Oscars gag
- John Travolta sorry about his Idina Menzel flub at Oscars
- Cate Blanchett almost missed Oscar due to bar trip with Julia Roberts
- Jared Leto says he damaged his Oscar trophy
- George Clooney skips Oscars for vacation
- I have not even slept since winning Oscar: Lupita Nyong`o
- Julia Roberts cries during Bette Middler`s `emotional` performance at Oscars after party
- 43 million viewers tuned in for Oscar ceremony
- Gold glimmers at Oscar red carpet this year
- DiCaprio`s Oscar loss garners mixed reaction online
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door