AP DGP told to exercise restraint in detaining YSR
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh Chief Electoral Officer on Monday directed the state Director General of Police (DGP) not to indiscriminately detain the YSR Congress Party workers and leaders in the name of maintaining law and order.
State Chief Electoral Officer Bhanwar Lal wrote a letter to the Director General of Police V Dinesh Reddy in this regard following a complaint lodged by the YSRC with the Election Commission.
In the complaint to the EC, which was personally handed over to the CEO by the party`s contesting candidates Sobha Nagi Reddy and Konda Surekha, YSRC honorary president and MLA Y S Vijaya alleged that police were indiscriminately taking her party leaders into custody in the last couple of days in the name of maintaining law and order.
Even the party`s candidates contesting the June 12 by-elections are being detained and also kept under house arrest, she pointed out.
This was depriving them of their legitimate right to campaign for the by-elections, Vijaya lamented.
Based on her complaint, the CEO asked the DGP not to detain YSRC leaders or prevent them from campaigning, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'