AP DGP told to exercise restraint in detaining YSR
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh Chief Electoral Officer on Monday directed the state Director General of Police (DGP) not to indiscriminately detain the YSR Congress Party workers and leaders in the name of maintaining law and order.
State Chief Electoral Officer Bhanwar Lal wrote a letter to the Director General of Police V Dinesh Reddy in this regard following a complaint lodged by the YSRC with the Election Commission.
In the complaint to the EC, which was personally handed over to the CEO by the party`s contesting candidates Sobha Nagi Reddy and Konda Surekha, YSRC honorary president and MLA Y S Vijaya alleged that police were indiscriminately taking her party leaders into custody in the last couple of days in the name of maintaining law and order.
Even the party`s candidates contesting the June 12 by-elections are being detained and also kept under house arrest, she pointed out.
This was depriving them of their legitimate right to campaign for the by-elections, Vijaya lamented.
Based on her complaint, the CEO asked the DGP not to detain YSRC leaders or prevent them from campaigning, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs