This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Elephant electrocuted in a farm

Last Updated: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 20:47

Raigarh: A pregnant elephant was electrocuted after it came into contact with a live wire in a farm here in Chhattisgarh, forest officials said today.
The farm owner, Narayan Vishwas (50), a resident of Sagarpur village in Raigarh district, has been arrested for the incident which took place yesterday.

The 20-year-old cow elephant, which was in advanced stage of pregnancy, had entered into the corn field belonging to Vishwas and died after coming in contact with live wire laid by the farmer, Dharamjaigarh Division Forest Official C L Agrawal told PTI.

"A post-mortem report revealed that the elephant was pregnant and died of electric shocks," he added.

A herd of elephants had been roaming in the area for the last few days. They had damaged the crop of Narayan`s field following which he laid the trap, Agrawal added.


First Published: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 20:47

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus