Elephant electrocuted in a farm
Raigarh: A pregnant elephant was electrocuted after it came into contact with a live wire in a farm here in Chhattisgarh, forest officials said today.
The farm owner, Narayan Vishwas (50), a resident of Sagarpur village in Raigarh district, has been arrested for the incident which took place yesterday.
The 20-year-old cow elephant, which was in advanced stage of pregnancy, had entered into the corn field belonging to Vishwas and died after coming in contact with live wire laid by the farmer, Dharamjaigarh Division Forest Official C L Agrawal told PTI.
"A post-mortem report revealed that the elephant was pregnant and died of electric shocks," he added.
A herd of elephants had been roaming in the area for the last few days. They had damaged the crop of Narayan`s field following which he laid the trap, Agrawal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- Crisis in Samajwadi Party: 'Helicopter kya tumhare baap ka hai?' - Why Shivpal Yadav asked this to a man in audience