Elephant electrocuted in a farm
Raigarh: A pregnant elephant was electrocuted after it came into contact with a live wire in a farm here in Chhattisgarh, forest officials said today.
The farm owner, Narayan Vishwas (50), a resident of Sagarpur village in Raigarh district, has been arrested for the incident which took place yesterday.
The 20-year-old cow elephant, which was in advanced stage of pregnancy, had entered into the corn field belonging to Vishwas and died after coming in contact with live wire laid by the farmer, Dharamjaigarh Division Forest Official C L Agrawal told PTI.
"A post-mortem report revealed that the elephant was pregnant and died of electric shocks," he added.
A herd of elephants had been roaming in the area for the last few days. They had damaged the crop of Narayan`s field following which he laid the trap, Agrawal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister