Elephant electrocuted in a farm
Raigarh: A pregnant elephant was electrocuted after it came into contact with a live wire in a farm here in Chhattisgarh, forest officials said today.
The farm owner, Narayan Vishwas (50), a resident of Sagarpur village in Raigarh district, has been arrested for the incident which took place yesterday.
The 20-year-old cow elephant, which was in advanced stage of pregnancy, had entered into the corn field belonging to Vishwas and died after coming in contact with live wire laid by the farmer, Dharamjaigarh Division Forest Official C L Agrawal told PTI.
"A post-mortem report revealed that the elephant was pregnant and died of electric shocks," he added.
A herd of elephants had been roaming in the area for the last few days. They had damaged the crop of Narayan`s field following which he laid the trap, Agrawal added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Thanks to natural forces, Antarctic temperature falls! But it's temporary
- I wanted to bat in the top seven for a long time, reveals Ravichandran Ashwin
- Ugly spat: Renuka Chowdhury reacts to Harsimrat Kaur's 'Kachra' allegation, calls it 'cheap political drama'
- Three suspects arrested in Florida for trying to join terror group ISIS
- PM Modi pays tribute to Chandra Shekhar Azad, Bal Gangadhar Tilak on birth anniversaries