Fish do not feel pain: Study
London: Scientists have discovered that fish do not feel pain as they do not have a brain system or enough sensory receptors in the nerve cells to experience suffering.
Fish do not even suffer when they are hooked and fighting for their lives, according to research by an international team.
While fish may struggle to get free, scientists say this does not mean they are in pain. Instead, they show "little effect" from injuries and toxins that would leave humans in agony.
In their experiments, researchers inserted needles into the jaws of rainbow trout.
"In spite of large injections of acid or bee venom, that would cause severe pain to a human, the trout showed remarkably little effect," Jim Rose, professor of zoology and physiology at the University of Wisconsin, who led the project, said.
Fish also resumed normal activity within minutes of surgical procedures, as well as after being caught and released back into the water.
"It is highly improbable that fish can experience pain," Rose said.
"We are not diminishing the importance of welfare considerations for fish, but we do reject the view that mental welfare is a legitimate concern," Rose added.
However, some believe while fish may not scream out, they still react to painful stimuli.
"Fish don`t scream in pain but they exhibit other pronounced reactions to painful stimuli. To claim otherwise is as sound as arguing the Earth is flat," Ben Williamson, spokesman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said.
The study was published in the journal Fish and Fisheries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand