Global warming to cause starvation of millions in Asia, Africa
London: Millions of people might face starvation by 2050 as a result of extreme temperature globally.
A report has warned that people in Africa and Asia could also become destitute as staple more than double in price by 2050 as a result of extreme temperatures, floods and droughts that will transform the way the world farms.
As food experts gather at two major conferences to discuss how to feed the nine billion people expected to be alive in 2050, leading scientists have told the Observer that food insecurity risks turning parts of Africa into permanent disaster areas.
The experts warned that rising temperatures will also have a drastic effect on access to basic foodstuffs, with potentially dire consequences for the poor.
According to the Guardian, Frank Rijsberman, head of the world`s 15 international CGIAR crop research centres, which study food insecurity, said that food production will have to rise 60 percent by 2050 just to keep pace with expected global population increase and changing demand.
A US Government report has said America`s agricultural economy is set to undergo dramatic changes over the next three decades, as warmer temperatures devastate crops.
The research by 60 scientists has predicted that all crops will be affected by the temperature shift as well as livestock and fruit harvests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered