Normal monsoon to decrease due to climate change
Coimbatore: Normal monsoon will decrease in the future due to the impact of impending climate change, a research conducted by various bodies, has said.
The findings of a research project, ClimaRice, jointly conducted by Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, International Pacific Research Centre, Hawaii and Bioforsk, Norway revealed climate change would affect agriculture by various means, including rains, droughts and floods, IPRC representative, Dr H Annamalai told reporters today.
The research on impact of climate change on agriculture was high priority in India, as it is expected to be widespread and severe, he said.
The project studied all aspects of climate change in agriculture including adaption, mitigation and socio economic components.
The second phase of the study revealed normal monsoon would be on the decrease as during the last monsoon, but was not clear and sure on the time and mode of droughts and floods, which have to be further investigated, Annamalai said.
TNAU vice-chancellor Dr K Ramasamy said the three year Rs seven crore project aimed at sustaining rice production under changing climate in the Cauvery River Basin modelled it for future change in climate, hydrology and rice productivity.
In addition. Various adaptation and mitigation measures, including water and nutrient management and microbial technologies to minimise methane emission from rice fields were also developed for dissemination, he said.
"ClimaRice has proved that System of Rice Intensification (SRI) developed by TNAU emitted 20 to 25 per cent less methane through trials and the process is to be further validated, which will help develop carbon offsets to SRI farmers," Ramasamy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read