Normal monsoon to decrease due to climate change
Coimbatore: Normal monsoon will decrease in the future due to the impact of impending climate change, a research conducted by various bodies, has said.
The findings of a research project, ClimaRice, jointly conducted by Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, International Pacific Research Centre, Hawaii and Bioforsk, Norway revealed climate change would affect agriculture by various means, including rains, droughts and floods, IPRC representative, Dr H Annamalai told reporters today.
The research on impact of climate change on agriculture was high priority in India, as it is expected to be widespread and severe, he said.
The project studied all aspects of climate change in agriculture including adaption, mitigation and socio economic components.
The second phase of the study revealed normal monsoon would be on the decrease as during the last monsoon, but was not clear and sure on the time and mode of droughts and floods, which have to be further investigated, Annamalai said.
TNAU vice-chancellor Dr K Ramasamy said the three year Rs seven crore project aimed at sustaining rice production under changing climate in the Cauvery River Basin modelled it for future change in climate, hydrology and rice productivity.
In addition. Various adaptation and mitigation measures, including water and nutrient management and microbial technologies to minimise methane emission from rice fields were also developed for dissemination, he said.
"ClimaRice has proved that System of Rice Intensification (SRI) developed by TNAU emitted 20 to 25 per cent less methane through trials and the process is to be further validated, which will help develop carbon offsets to SRI farmers," Ramasamy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!