National Girl Child Day: NGO for implementation of act banning pre-natal sex determination
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: At a time where female children still face gender discrimination which male kids do not experience, and on the occasion of National Girl Child Day, a non-governmental organisation (NGO) on Friday has pitched for proper implementation of the act banning pre-natal sex determination in India.
National Girl Child Day is being observed across India by the government on January 24 with an aim to raise awareness and consciousness of the society towards the girl child. On this day, the NGO met the Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR), demanding proper implementation of the act banning sex determination of foetuses.
"The sex ratio in the capital, especially in south Delhi, has been reported to be low. We met the DCPCR chief as the commission has an important role in the implementation of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act (PCPNDT)," Smita Kahnijow of Action Aid was quoted as saying to IANS.
As per Census 2011, Delhi has a sex ratio of 866 females per 1,000 males.
To protect the girl child, the NGO also harped on setting up of anti-sexual harassment cells as per the Vishakha guidelines in both government and private schools.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!