World Cancer Day: Top five foods that can keep cancer at bay!
A healthy balanced diet with plenty of fibre, fruit and vegetables can help lower your risk for many cancers.
Zee Media Bureau
Cancer can affect everyone – the young and old, including children. It is one of the leading causes of death in the world, where about 70% of all cancer deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries.
According to the WHO, worldwide, the 5 most common types of cancer that kill men are - lung, stomach, liver, colorectal and oesophagus. In women, breast, lung, stomach, colorectal and cervical.
However, cervical cancer is the most common cancer in developing cancer.
Yet, many of cancer deaths can be prevented through healthy life style or immunization against cancer causing infections. Also, a healthy balanced diet with plenty of fibre, fruit and vegetables can help lower your risk for many cancers.
Here are top five foods that can help prevent cancer:
- Berries – Pterostilbene, an antioxidant called found in high quantities in blueberries, has cancer-fighting properties. Include any one of these- blueberries, blackberries, strawberries – in your diet.
- Broccoli - Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower contain phytonutrients, which may help prevent cancer.
- Turmeric: Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, has been shown to prevent and inhibit formation of tumours in scientific studies.
- Pomegranates - Ellagic acid in pomegranates has been shown to inhibit cancer cell growth and deactivate cancer-causing compounds.
- Grapes - The resveratrol, a natural antioxidant found in skin of red grapes, may help prevent or stop cancer from spreading.