Two buildings collapse in Mumbai; three dead, several injured
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Mumbai: After Delhi and Chennai, two separate incidents of building collapse Mumbai on Saturday morning killed at least three people and injured several others. According to reports, two pavement dwellers were crushed to death after a portion of a building in Jai Bhim Nagar fell on them.
The officials at the site of the accident said that the building was weakened by the ongoing heavy rain.
In another building collapse incident in the city`s Colaba area, a teenager was killed when the roof of the tenement caved in. Also, five people were injured in the collapse and were rushed to the nearby hospital.
It is yet to be ascertained what caused the building to collapse which is located at Ganesh Murti Nagar at Colaba but according to initial reports, the roof of the building caved in. Fire tenders have been pressed into service to assist in the rescue work at the accident site.
During monsoon, several unstable and crumbling buildings in Mumbai collapse due to incessant rains. Mumbai, Thane and Konkan region have been lashed by heavy rain in the past three days with a forecast of more rain over the weekend.
In the last decade or so, the incidents of building collapse in India have become rampant. Last month, multi-storey buildings in Delhi and Chennai collapsed killing several people. One of the various arguments given as to the causes of building collapses were laxity in implementation of building by-laws.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues