`Bali bomber` was explosives expert: FBI agent
Jakarta: A FBI agent testifying in the trial of the suspected Bali bomb-maker said on Thursday that the accused had been identified as an explosives expert by other Islamic militants and had planned to kill US troops.
Indonesian prosecutors accuse Umar Patek, who was arrested last year in the same Pakistani town where US commandos later killed al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, of constructing the bombs that killed 202 people, mostly Westerners.
Frank Pellegrino, a special agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation who interrogated many Islamic militants following the 9/11 attacks in the United States, arrived in Bali shortly after the October 2002 nightclub bombings on the holiday island.
Pellegrino said he interrogated around 20 Islamic militants, most from the al Qaeda-linked Southeast Asian terror network Jemaah Islamiyah (JI), of which Patek is believed to be a key member and which was behind the Bali attacks.
"Many did know Mr Patek and all described him -- especially after the time of Bali bombings -- as a leader, a bomb-maker, a well-known bomb-maker who knew how to mix chemicals and knew how to teach people how to mix chemicals," Pellegrino testified at the trial at the West Jakarta District Court.
He said the FBI had already been looking into JI because of threats of an attack on the US embassy in Singapore in 2001.
Patek`s name was quickly known by the FBI after the Bali attacks, Pellegrino said.
"A very famous sketch was drawn of what he looked like," he told the court. "We realised pretty quickly it was Jemaah Islamiyah," he added.
Pellegrino said he had many discussions with Indonesian police following the Bali attacks about Patek`s activities in Afghanistan, where the suspected bomb-maker is known to have trained.
Patek, 45, went on trial in February, charged with murder, bomb-making and illegal firearms possession. Prosecutors say they will push for the death penalty.
Three JI members -- ringleader Imam Samudra and the brothers Mukhlas and Amrozi -- were executed by firing squad in November 2008 for their roles in the Bali bombings.
Two bombs erupted in Bali`s Kuta tourist strip on October 12, 2002, one at Paddy`s Irish Bar and the second shortly after in a van outside the nearby Sari club. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark