Moderate quake sparks panic in Philippine city
Manila: A moderate earthquake injured one person, knocked out power and prompted the evacuation of dozens of patients from a hospital Monday in a southern Philippine city, officials said.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology measured the quake at magnitude 5.2, while the US Geological Survey said it was 5.0.
The quake shook houses in Valencia City and other parts of Bukidnon province shortly before nightfall, prompting residents to run outside in panic as TV sets and other objects tumbled off tables, Office of Civil Defense Director Anna Caneda said.
"The shaking was brief but quite intense," Caneda told a news agency.
About 40 patients in a hospital were helped out after the quake caused cracks in the walls. They stayed outside as officials confirmed that the three-story building was safe enough for them to return, Caneda said.
Valencia safety officer Alejandro Larosa said at least one resident was injured by falling objects.
Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology head Renato Solidum said movement of a local fault set off the earthquake, which was also felt in some regions near Bukidnon.
The Philippines is located in the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where earthquakes and volcanic activity are common.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez