North Korea not going to war, says US official
Washington: North Korea`s belligerent words and war-like preparations are more bluff than bite, according to a senior Obama administration official.
The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said North Korea is in a mindset of war, but it is not going to war, reports CBS News.
The official said North Korea is doing two things that signal it is not spoiling for war: maintaining continuous and unfettered access to the Kaesong Industrial Complex six miles north of the Demilitarized Zone, and by continuing to promote tourists visits to North Korea, even amid its banging of war drums.
Kaesong is a hive of business activity and about 200 South Koreans travel there daily. It produces about 2 billion-dollar of annual trade and commerce revenue for the North.
Yet, the official confirmed South Korea reports of increased activity by North Korean military personnel near ballistic missile sites. The official said the activity, though, was believed to be related solely to exercises and training - not actual war preparations.
The official`s comments came amid reports that North Korea announced it was at a "state of war".
In response to those reports, Caitlin Hayden, a National Security Council spokeswoman, said the U.S. takes the threat seriously but also called the North`s statement "unconstructive". Hayden said the US remains fully prepared and capable of defending and protecting the US and its allies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!