Rome basilica vandalized, bronze door damaged
Rome: Vandals have made a fist-sized hole in
the bronze central door of one of Rome`s main basilicas, St.
The damage, seemingly made by a small-tipped hammer or
rock, was discovered today morning on a panel of the door
depicting the angel Gabriel appearing to Mary.
The ANSA news agency said the presumed vandal had been
The basilica, which dates from the 5th century, is one of
four in Rome that are under the direct jurisdiction of the
According to legend, Mary appeared to Pope Liberius in
August 358 and directed him to build a church where he would
find snow in the morning; the miraculous snowfall is
commemorated each on August 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre