Turkey fears Syria chemical weapons, seeks Nato missiles
London: Turkey has requested NATO to deploy Patriot missile defences on its territory.
The country requested for protection after receiving intelligence that the Syrian Government was contemplating the use of missiles, possibly chemical warheads.
The officials said they had credible evidence that if the Syrian Government’s aerial bombardment against opposition-held areas failed to hold the rebels back, President Bashar al-Assad’s regime might resort to missiles and chemical weapons in as the last effort to survive.
According to the Guardian, the Turks believe that the regime’s Soviet-era Scuds and North Korean SS-21 missiles would be aimed principally at opposition areas.
They, however, also said that the missiles could easily wander away across the border, as Syrian army artillery shells and mortars have done.
A missile, especially with a chemical warhead, would represent a far greater threat to Turkish border communities, so Ankara decided last month to ask NATO to supply Patriot missile defence systems, which can spot an incoming missile and intercept it, the report said.
"We have intelligence from different sources that the Syrians will use ballistic missiles and chemical warheads," a senior Turkish official said.
"First they sent the infantry in against the rebels and they lost a lot of men, and many changed sides. Then they sent in the tanks, and they were taken out by anti-tank missiles. So now it``s air power. If that fails it will be missiles, perhaps with chemical warheads. That is why we asked Nato for protection," the official added.
According to the report, the New York Times had reported that western intelligence officials had spotted new signs of activity around Syrian military sites where chemical weapons are stored.
The Syrian regime is believed to have stocks of mustard gas, sarin nerve gas and possibly VX, another nerve agent.
Western governments have warned Assad that any use of these weapons would trigger direct military intervention against him, the report said.
So far, western officials have said that there are no signs of the regime taking the final steps of preparing chemical artillery shells, missiles or aircraft bombs for use, the report added.
The deployment of Dutch and German Patriot systems is due to be voted on by those countries’ parliaments this week, and Turkish diplomats expect it to be approved, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!