Broad had the right to stay, say greats
Nottingham: Cricket experts feel that Stuart Broad was well within his right to stand his ground after edging one on day three of the first Ashes Test at Trent Bridge here.
"It`s the umpire`s decision to give you out and you can`t blame Broad for not walking, hats off I say if you nick it to 1st slip and stand your ground and get given not out" tweeted spin legend Shane Warne.
Broad, while on 37 and England on 297 for 7, edged an Ashton Agar ball to Michael Clarke after it clipped wicketkeeper Brad Haddin`s gloves but umpire Aleem Dar gave Broad not out, leaving the Aussies shocked.
"The way people are reacting is that Broad is the first player ever to hit a ball and not walk," former England captain Michael Vaughan said.
"To me, it has to be the umpire (at fault). A player is allowed to stand his ground," former Australian fast bowler Glenn McGrath.
The decision review system was also not an option for Australia as they had already used their stipulated two reviews unsuccessfully. Clarke exchanged words with umpire Dar, while coach Darren Lehmann shook his head in astonishment.
England batsman Kevin Pietersen, who scored a fifty in the first innings, also defended Broad`s decision. "Each and every player that plays for their country, club side, county, province or franchise has the opportunity to wait for the decision the umpire makes, and you respect the umpire`s decision," he was quoted as saying by BBC.
Broad`s father, Chris Broad backed Broad`s decision and told BBC that instances like these happen in Ashes.
"Stuart didn`t walk and I think most players want to see an umpire give a decision. The umpire gave a not out decision, you get on with the game," said Chris Broad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy