Demba Ba left with mixed feelings after Chelsea winner
Paris: Demba Ba admitted to somewhat mixed feelings after coming off the bench to score the goal that took Chelsea into the Champions League semi-finals at Paris Saint-Germain`s expense on Tuesday.
The 28-year-old came on for Frank Lampard midway through the second half and bundled the ball into the net three minutes from time to give Chelsea a 2-0 win on the night and take them into the last four on away goals as the tie finished 3-3 on aggregate.
It was a huge boost for a player who has been out of favour for much of this season at Stamford Bridge but it was also a strange feeling for Ba to eliminate PSG - Ba was born in Sevres in the Paris suburbs and is a fan of the French capital club.
"I am very happy for me, the club and my family too. I don`t know if the goal has any special significance, other than the fact that we are in the semi-finals," he told French television.
"It was a bit tough seeing Paris with their heads down at the end. Since I`ve supported them, there have only been two times that I`ve wanted PSG to lose - last week and today," he added.
Ba, who is a Senegalese internationalist, has never played senior football in France. He had spells in Belgium and Germany before first moving to England in 2011 to join West Ham United.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today