Liverpool striker Suarez reignites racist row with Evra by attacking Man U
London: Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has reignited his feud with Manchester United defender Patrice Evra over his race ban last season, claiming he was victim of a conspiracy by the politically powerful 19-times English champions.
Suarez, who is currently back in Uruguay preparing for the Olympics, will have disappointed Anfield officials by going on record again about the episode with Evra last October.
During an interview with a Uruguayan TV station, Suarez revealed that he had been ordered by Liverpool’s hierarchy not to speak over the uproar, for which he received an eight-match ban.
An unrepentant Suarez also caused a storm when he refused to shake hands with Evra before a Barclays Premier League game at Old Trafford on February 4, but the striker believes he was misunderstood.
“It was a misunderstanding, what happened between me and Evra at Old Trafford when we were to shake hands. In fact, I think it was all arranged against me again, as it had happened with the punishment,” a daily quoted Suarez, as saying.
“I promised my wife, the manager and the directors that I was going to shake my hand with Evra. “Why not?” I thought, because I had no problems with him. I had been punished because of him, but I had no problems with shaking hands,” he added.
“The media in England showed the moment when I passed in front of him, but they didn’t see that he had his hand low before. Only the media in Uruguay and Spain showed that I wanted to shake his hand,” he said.
Suarez further added: “People at the club are sure that it was a way that Manchester United used to put me out of the team and stop Liverpool. But in England, Man United has this political power, and you have to respect that and shut your mouth.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional