Belgium podium on par with IPL final: Mallya
New Delhi: Force India chairman Vijay Mallya said the outfit`s maiden podium finish in Belgian Grand Prix would rank alongside Royal Challengers Bangalore`s final appearance in the Indian Premier League II as two of his best sporting moments.
There is an uncanny similarity between Force India and BRC, both owned by the liquor baron, as both the outfits pulled off huge surprises in their fairytale second season to silence the critics.
"I think the podium finish and getting into the finals of the IPL cricket are two sporting moments that I will never forget," an elated Mallya said, drawing a comparison between the two achievements.
While Force India had the backmarker`s tag hanging around its neck after failing to score a single point in 2008, RCB were the laggards of the inaugural IPL, finishing second last.
Even the staunchest supporter of both the outfits did not give them a chance but both went on to pull off surprises, with RCB reaching the final of the IPL II in South Africa and Giancarlo Fisichella notching up Force India`s first podium finish at Spa-Francorchamps.
The podium finish in Belgium ended Force India`s dry run on Formula One circuit and Mallya admitted his heart was pounding towards the end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Japan's Shinzo Abe takes G7 leaders to shrine as economy tops summit agenda
- Amber Heard files for divorce from Johnny Depp
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte apologises for captive Canadian's beheading by militants
- Jennifer Aniston's mother Nancy Dow dies at 79
- Ayodhya self-defence camp: Azam Khan slams Bajrang Dal, says its polarising society