Massa fears for Brazil`s F1 legacy
Abu Dhabi: Felipe Massa has expressed his fears about Brazil`s ability to maintain a tradition of supplying leading drivers to Formula One.
Massa, who is struggling to find a seat for 2014 after being told he will be released by Ferrari, is Brazil`s only current F1 driver.
"We`ve always had successful Brazilian drivers in Formula One," he said.
"And I think it`s important. It`s really a shame what`s happened in the last few years. I`m now the only Brazilian driver in F1 and I still haven`t got a contract for next year. It would be a big loss for Brazil if I`m not driving, or if another Brazilian driver isn`t racing.
"I hope I can still be here and still fight for my country. But this is a problem that started a long time ago.
"When I moved to Europe from Brazil in 2000, in every category in Europe there was a Brazilian fighting for the championship.
"All the important categories were full of Brazilians. We even had a team in Formula 3000.
"Now Brazil is not in any category. You don`t see Brazilians fighting for championships anymore."
Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado`s impending departure from Williams is set to allow Massa to switch to the British team next year.
Williams are expected to gain more from sponsorship from Brazil if they complete a deal with Massa, but he emphasised that does not mean he is to become a `pay driver`.
"In Formula One, I have always been a professional. I`ve always had my salary. I`ve never brought money to race. Nothing is changing on that," said Massa.
"I won`t sign or talk with a team if the first thing we talk about is sponsors. It doesn`t mean I won`t help find sponsors, but it must be in a professional way."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000