Before you think of throwing those banana peels in the dustbin, read this!
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: It is a well known fact that bananas are packed with several health benefits, but do you know that the peel of bananas are equally beneficial.Sounds weird?
Studies prove that banana peels are loaded with nutrients and also helps in reducing weight. Here are reasons why you should think before throwing them in the dustbin:
- Banana peels contain vitamin A, which helps in building immunity and fight against infections.
- Banana peels have a lot of antioxidants and most of the B vitamins but majorly vitamin B6.
- A substance called lutein present in the peels keeps the eyes healthy and prevents cataract.
- They have soluble and insoluble fibers which slow down the process of digestion and lower cholesterol in the body.
- Banana peels are also rich sources of potassium and contain much more soluble and insoluble fiber than their flesh.
Well now that you know why you should consume the peels, you must be confused about which skin to opt for. Yellow or green?
Health experts suggest that yellow skin is better for you since it has anti-cancer properties and helps in the production of white blood cells. But if you opt for the green skin, it is advised to first boil it for 10 minutes to soften the peel and then consume it.